Re: [MV] Run 12 volt radio on 24 v. system

buzz (buzz@lanset.com)
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 07:59:13 -0800

Yes it will work fine, as your CB radio doesn't draw more than a few
miliamps on receive and not much more on transmit. The problem with
using "the lower battery", is that over a period of time it will need to
be recharged. When 24 volt is placed across two 12V batteries, the
charging current is limited by the internal resistance of the battery
with the higher charge, hence the lower charge battery never gets fully
charged. To solve this problem I use two 12 volt float chargers across
my batteries when the jeep is parked. I have also added two cigarette
lighter sockets under the dash for use with emergency lights etc.
Buzz