Re: [MV] Run 12 volt radio on 24 v. system

Michael Howell (michael@tsixroads.com)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:11:07 -0600

An M1010 is the ambulance version of the series of trucks based on the
1985 chevrolet 1 ton pickup truck. The charging system is complicated
because chevrolet retained all the civilian 12 volt parts like the glow
plugs, headlights etc. The 12 volts are pulled off between the batteries
like what is being discussed. To compensate for this the 200 amp system
uses two 200 amp 28 volt alternators. The bottom one applies 28 volts
across both batteries. The top one runs through a voltage regulator
which has a 14 volt output and a 28 volt output. The 14 volt output is
placed across the front battery. Are you confused yet?