Re: [MV] Demilling

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 22:57:07 -0600 (CST)

>It's always been my understanding that quite some years ago someone
>was seriously injured or killed when their M151 Series Jeep rolled over,
>The ensuing lawsuits against our government caused the de-milling of
>said vehicles. Many late model military vehicles do not meet DOT
>requirements and that is another reason certain vehicles are mutilated.

OK.... So what's going on with Hummve's. Same plant, same basic chassis,
etc. I heard that LTV (current maker) asked for a contract clause to be
added with the last (or earlier) contracts to require destruction (shades of
old J. Willys). Is this true????

>Don't wait for someone to start a lobby, write letters to your elected
>officials, NOW!

Ha... I've been doing this since 1978. Gone thru many rep's and many
senators. Only 1, Melvin Price (now deceased) even bothered to write back
with a hint of any interest in the topic. What ussualy happens is they pass
your letter off to DOT(NHTSA) or DOD and you get a form letter back
explaining the situation (according to them). If you pursue it any further
with say logic, objectivity, and facts you just get a short turse letter
stating that they have already explained their position and please feel free
to write again. Funny that at one point (mid 80's I beleive) DOD and DOT
blamed each other. Writting won't solve anything. Lobbying with MONEY may
get somewhere.

je