Re: [MV] Re: Tire Chains

Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:34:42 -0600

At 09:27 AM 1/15/99 -0500, Robert Bell wrote:
>Whenever I have run tire chains, whether on a car, pickup, tractor, or
>fire truck, I always made and used my own chain tighteners. . . .

One method of tightening tire chains I've used with success is to mount them
on flat tires. Airing the tires up will make them as tight as they can be made.

Two issues:

1) Custom fit the chains to the tires: it takes a few attempts to get the
lengths just right.

2) Keep the chains permanently mounted.

Of course, both of these hints imply that I keep an extra set of
tires/wheels around just to have chains mounted on them. That can get
pricey, I know, but I've found that it's a great deal easier to change a
pair of tires in bad weather (I try to anticipate and do it when the weather
is just about to get bad, but I don't always succeed) than to properly mount
chains in bad weather.

My 34,392 rubles (about $.02 this week),

Steve Allen

BTW, I don't know whether this process would be a good idea on break-down
rims. . .