Re: [MV] Budd?

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:52:30 -0600 (CST)

> I have been reading this list for a while and have been confused as to
>what Budd is. I have seen the budd reference about rims and also a
>protyotype jeep that was not submitted to the quatermaster much like the
>Ford. Could someone please inform me as to what the budd company did or
>does, and how it may have been connected to Ford. I have looked on the web
>and have found no good explaniation as to the company.

Harold Budd isn't it? I saw somewhere that he developed the stamped metal
body and had to go to europe to sell the concept because no one in the US
was interested, a man ahead of his time I guess.

I think if you talk to most truck people about Budd wheels, it implies the
double nut concept of holding the wheels on. An inner 'stud nut' that
threads onto the stud (holding the inner wheel on) and an outer 'wheel nut'
that threads onto the 'stud nut' (holding the outer wheel on).

je