RE: [MV] Hummers vrs. Humvees

Greg David (ict@best.com)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:30:11 -0800

David,

> As far as I know, both the civilian Hummer and the military Humvee have
> riveted and adhesively bonded "unibody" aluminum chassis
> construction.

The Hummer is not a "unibody". That would imply that it does not have a
seperate frame. The Hummer has a conventional steel ladder frame and an
aluminum body that is bolted to it. They use special plastic "insulator"
wherever aluminum would touch steel, so as to prevent a reaction that would
cause corrosion. The Civy Hummer does however have a steel roof and doors.
These being required to meet DOT specs. Typically Unibody or Unit Body is
used to describe the type of construction used in most modern automobiles
that do not have a seperate frame or chassis. In theory you could have a
Hummer "rolling chassis" that could drive without the body at all. Try doing
that with a Honda or something similar. It's really all just a question of
semantics. I just thought I'd shed a little light.

> One of the "upgrades" we do to our
civilian Hummers is to install armored military version heavy-duty
half-shafts
(axles), as we have a nasty habit of destroying the civy ones.

Watch those axle shafts! I drove a civilian Hummer 100 miles with an
exploded CV joint held together by three hose clamps after some over zealous
trail antics. Thank god for a locking center diff.

Regards,

Greg