Re: [MV] Enlarged brake drum (potential) problem

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:51:17 -0600 (CST)

>I would not use DOT 5 (Silicone) brake fluid in a system that has some
>new and some older rubber parts. In fact, when I had my master cylinder
>re-sleeved and rebuilt by a nationally known antique restorer, the
>lifetime warranty is void if DOT 5 fluid is used. Why? In the past,
>they have completely replaced the entire brake system on an antique car,
>filled it with silicone brake fluid, only to discover a gooey mess
>later. Result? Completey replace the entire brake system AGAIN. After
>this happened several times, they swore off of the silicone fluid even
>though they had a case or two of the stuff around (and it ain't cheap!).
>
>I decided to go with Valvoline's new SYNPOWER synthetic brake fluid
>which is a glycol, non-silicone based fluid. So far so good. Anyone
>else had any experience with this synthetic (non-silicone) fluid?

I replaced the brake fluid on my 715 with mil spec silcone stuff I got from
work. Vehicle was18 years old at the time. I also replaced master with a
used dual one. Everything worked just fine, and still works fine 14 years
later. I do purge the system with fresh stuff now and then however. As I
understand it one of the benifits of conventional brake fluid is that it
abosrbs water which gets it out of the way, corrosion and freezing wise that
is. Silcone fluid does not have the same water absorbing characteristics,
or so I'm told.

je