Re: [MV] FUEL???

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:13:11 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Torfinn Sørnes <tsornes@online.no>
To: 'mil-veh@skylee.com' <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 01 February 1999 07:10
Subject: Re: [MV] FUEL???

>Dyed diesel (red colour) is common here in Norway also. It is illegal
to use in >normal vehicles. There are very high fines if you get caught
(equivalent of $2600 >and up). The police do control diesel cars
occationally. The dyed and undyed diesel >is actually the same diesel.
The colour is added to the tank truck when it is filling up >from the
depot tanks.

To complete the picture the situation with our duty free diesel commonly
known here as "pink diesel" is very similar, however, the Govt fuel
testing units are moderately common and staffed by Customs and Excise
since the near 90% tax on road fuels is an excise duty, strong rumour
has it that even a small sample of tail-pipe soot will indicate current
or previous use of untaxed fuel.

All vehicles are registered with a Govt agency and the data includes the
fuel type, our road licence reminders received by post usually include a
warning to the owner of a diesel powered vehicle also.

Historically, offences against HM Customs are considered more serious
than say, inland revenue evasion; the penalties are very severe and can
lead to vehicle confiscation.

Richard
(Southampton UK)