Re: [MV] Engine Year

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:02:02 -0500

>My point is that, unless there are productions records which list what
parts
>went into EACH INDIVIDUAL unit, assuming that a change-over was
accomplished
>cleanly and at one specific point in the manufacturing run MAY be assuming
>too much.

Your description is not how Willys-Overland operated. When a part was
changed, it was issued under a Running Change (RC) number. A date
(sometimes based on the available stock or when the Army wanted the change
to occur) was selected as to when the changeover was to occur. At the date,
the change was implemented and the remaining stock was transfered to the
Service Department for spare parts. At that point, the new part was the
only part used unless another RC number was issued. If there occurred
problems with the procurement of the official part, a Deviation Permit was
issued that allowed another part to be used until the official part became
available again. (i.e. If Walker could not provide the official muffler
(either because of their production backup or a strike, etc.), a Deviation
Permit was issued to allow for Maremont's muffler to be used.) Each
Deviation Permit was numbered and logged. No guessing. (An example in the
post war period is the integrated ignition key and coil for the CJ-2A. At
some point in 1946, Willys-Overland was having problems procuring this part
from Auto-Lite. Each time they ran out, a Deviation Permit was issued to
allow for the use of a separate ignition switch and coil mounted on the
engine. The serial numbers of the vehicles involved were logged.) Don't
assume these companies were not well run and that they used any part on the
assembly line that would bolt up. This is not the case.

Todd Paisley