Re: [MV] M-38 Paint

Dave Cole (da_cole@csi.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:09:09 -0500

"John K. Seidts" wrote:

> This is an
> > email list... Exactly what kind of data are you looking for? What kind
> > of photo's, before and after?? >>
>
> How about objective, verifiable data about manufacturing history? What is
> wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with that. That's not what was asked.

> > In a short time, there would exist a good data bank on the
> >best choices, based on actual performance.
>
> What is wrong with that? The last time I checked, the US Army wasn't too
> finicky about painting its vehicles with the right color. So it is up to us
> to make sure that the proper paint is correctly preserved. Or would you
> rather let the makers of The Thin Red Line do your historical documentation
> for you? I'm with Cougar Jack.

Nothing is wrong with that either. However if the army isn't too
finicky about painting it's vehicles the right colors, then what color
is correct? Perhaps there is more than one right color combo? How do
you know when you have chosen the right color. And what does that have
to do with a movie? I'm not sure who I am with. (:->)

> >One last thing...the most common flaw in mil-veh purchases is often the
> paint.
>
> Very true. Look at the M37 on our page. It's still a nice truck, just the
> wrong shade of green.

How do you know it is the wrong shade if the army wasn't very picky
about the color?

> You can go on and on about how "Ford trucks are better than
> >Chevys", yada yada yada, but the data may show differently. It's merely
> true
> >that people tend to make statements like that for a lot of varied reasons,
> (something about recording data)
>
> Again I agree. You can't overlook the importance of data recording and
> historical documentation in any restoration. I know banging your knuckles
> is more fun than tapping on the typewriter. But history gets lost fast.
> Our new Indian 841 motorcycle is shrouded in mystery. Why? Indian had
> terrible records. What you write down now will really help the next guy in
> his restoration.

FWIW,
The point I was trying to make before with Cougarjack had nothing to do
with whether or not anyone should keep records, proper paint colors,
etc.

Dave