[MV] 10,000+ lb trailer and is an M35 suitable

Dave Cole (da_cole@csi.com)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:31:06 -0500

According to the letter of the law, it's true a CDL is required for
commercial use with trailers over 10K GVW. However, I have talked with
a lot of people including dealers who sell heavy trailers and the fact
is that the DOT only goes after trailers with GVW's of over 20K lbs.
They do this by attaching a tax to any trailers with a GVW of over 20K.
I understand the tax is very significant - over $1000. Operators of
farm vehicles are not required to have CDL's, if used within the
limitations of a farm vehicle. You can drive a Semi as part of a farm
operation and not require a CDL.

I have asked a lot of people about this and there seems to be a similar
theme. I have also asked the folks at the Indiana DOT, should I drive a
gooseneck trailer loaded with 22K lbs through the scales? The reply was
no, unless you have a semi rig with a fifth wheel you can ignore the
scales.

Apparently this is one of those situations where the law is printed in
one way but enforced in another way.

There was a vendor at the Kruse Auto Auction in Auburn Indiana last year
who had a long wheelbase Kenworth Semi tractor that he had converted
from a tractor to an RV. He did this by removing the fifth wheel and
putting a van box on the tractor frame. He then installed a bed, sink,
etc. He added a "large" pintle hitch. He had a matched trailer that
was basically a semi box trailer with a pintle hitch. The trailer was
at least 30 feet long and with a single dual wheel axle. It had to
weigh 25-30K lbs Very heavy and loaded with gear. He sold tie downs,
nylon strap systems, tow rigs, wrecking equipment, etc. When I asked
him about his truck he said, "tractor?, no it's an RV". He explained
that he keeps his RV declaration paperwork in the glovebox and never
goes through the scales. If they chase him down, he just pulls out the
paperwork shows the officer and goes on. Apparently he hits all of the
car shows around the country with this rig. I believe he was from
Pennsylvania. He said he was working on making an even nicer rig with a
Mack tractor!

So obviously the written law is not enforced as written.

Dave