Re: [MV] 42/45/52 Ford Part Three: PHOTOS

Steve Malikoff MV list account (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:04:50 +1100 (EST)

Dennis asked about a mystery 'bitza' MB that he had been asked to give
some advice on. He's passed on a couple of photos of this jeep to me
and I have put them up at:

http://phaedra.apana.org.au/pictures/dennis/1_400.jpg
http://phaedra.apana.org.au/pictures/dennis/2_400.jpg

So, take a look at them and see if it looks ok to you, given his descriptions
which he's already posted to the list. I'll copy the comments, below.
Steve.

> Hi list,
>
> Last week I posted a mailing for a fellow Dutchman (Peter).
> Peter is able to buy a jeep which has some mysteries around it.
> I am trying to help him to solve the questions that come with
> this vehicle. Now we have some additional information. We hope
> any of you can help us.
>
> The jeep was imported from Indonesia to the Netherlands for
> about 7 years ago together with two more jeeps.It does have a
> Fordchassis with chassisnumber GPW 217127 (!!). The story goes
> this was a 4 digit number but the dutch customs stamped in
> additional digits. The engine does have a plate with number GPW
> 5015. It seems this plate was put on later since the engine is
> casted 90101HWOF (FMA. WOF Willys Overland France(?). The engine
> is overpainted with a color orange. The engine head says Willys
> + Jeep (casted) +Firing order 1342. One of the engines parts
> reads Solex...
>
> A bodynumber was not to befound on the firewall...Body seems to
> be a true Willys or Ford.
>
> Milecounter says ms 39021-2 and sw 503-c. two other counters
> were"made in China"...
>
> Direction indicator attached to the steeringcolumn comes from a
> company in Illinois.
>
> Other details : blackoutlamp is from the USA, so are the
> taillights. The tires are from Indonesia. The top is made out of
> some kind of plastic and can be converted to a wintertop.
>
> The middle nomenclature on the gloveboxlid is Ford with stamped
> in date 1952. On the outer left (drivers)side of the dashboard
> is bronze/copper plate (2x5 cm) with a royal crown on it. it
> does have two number stamped in.On top: LB nr16857 + Ch nr
> MB24389(bottom).
>
> No F (Ford) signs on any parts to be found!!
>
> The jeep doesn't have any identification markings or stars
> etc..Story goes it was used by the Indonesian army. Somedody
> told the jeep is originally from 1942.
>
> That is all information we have on this jeep. We hope any of you
> can help us identify this vehicle. Would it be worht buying???

Dear list,

Recently I was approached by a fellow Dutchman who is able to
buy a jeep. The jeep he has an eye on, raises some questions
though! Maybe some of you can help clear the sky around this
vehicle.

The jeep should be a 1942 Ford GPW which was imported from
Indonesia to the Netherlands around 7 years ago. The papers
that
go with the jeep say (in Malaysian) that it is a 1945 Ford GPW.
But...the dashboard nomenclature plates have the year 1952
stamped in them.

The jeep is coloured very dark green, darker than the usual
"olive drab". No unit-markings or white stars are to be found
on
the surface of the jeep. The engine of the vehicle is colored a
kind of orange.

Additional information: no rifle holder on the wind-shield,
body
seems to be the Willys kind. According to the current owner
there used to be a 10cm high red vertical light on each fender.
To the left side of the steeringcolum there is attached a
handle
(for indicating direction?).

Unfortunately I didn't see the vehicle or a photo of it yet.
All
the information came to me by e-mail. I do not know the s/n or
engine number (yet). I hope any of you can help us with the
little information we have.

Dennis Buijs
the Netherlands
1943 GPW