Re: [MV] odd jeep steering wheel

dvsww2 (dvsww2@cyberhighway.net)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 10:56:54 -0700

I find Charlie's post on this wheel quite interesting. I've bbe working on
a 45 GPW to use for reenacting as well as our MV club parades, etc. I'm a
big guy and I've been trying to figure out some non-obtrusive mods to cope
with the rather short and small seating area. I had considered about
re-angling the column slightly up. I discovered that my jeep has been on
it's "head" as the colummn itself was bent downward and the steering wheel
itself is flatsided on one side The porta-power fixed the column. Having
been arround supermodified race cars I'd eyed possibly of trying to come up
with a detachable steering wheel and it looks like some one beat me to the
idea. I have seen Airborne glider jeeps with the tops of the wheels cut
off, so I'm quite insterested in Charlie's wheel. On the other hand if
anyone has any suggestions on seating mods let me know. A friend in PA did
his by rebuilding the seat from and the wheel well and moved the seat back.
If anyone else has any ideas I'd welcome them. Thanks, Howard.