Re: [MV] Radium Instrument Dial Danger

Just fishin' from my (gamma_goat@plazma.net)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:04:52 -0800

>I apologize for the slight diversion from topic, and hope that Mr.
>Skylee will forgive me since it relates to safety.
>I posted a message about getting an original MB speedometer, minus the
>glass and bezel. A couple of well-meaning listers promptly sent
>warnings to me regarding the danger of handling the speedo, since it may
>have originally had a radium-based paint applied to the numbers. I
>received these messages AFTER I had spent some time with a paper towel
>cleaning the face and the retouching some small scratches in the black.

<snip>

>Needless to say, I was VERY relieved. Each one of us has to decide what
>risks are acceptable, and there are certainly a myriad of risks
>associated with vehicle restoration. Prudent precautions can minimize
>the risks. I hope to avoid a long thread on this topic, and I apologize
>again for the length of this posting. I am NOT an expert in this
>subject, and each one of you should draw your own conclusions. I am
>tired and don't want to think about jeeps any more for a while...

better safe than sorry... :)
i remember the time i swallowed half a cup of waterbed water starting a
siphon.. bout 6 hours later my guts hurt so bad i thought i was gonna die..

turns out the anti algae chemicals are nothing more than soap, and not
harmful other than making you want to puke.. for hours :/
-dd

\\\\\//
+-=oOOo-(_)-oOOo=oo0=(_)=0oo=oOO=-(_)-=OOo=oo0=(_)=0oo=oOOo-(_)-oOOo=-+
Plazma Networking Services / Level Seven inc.
Connecting the World....
http://www.plazma.net http://www.L7.net http://www.L7.org /"\
Olympia's "one stop" InterNetworking Provider 1 (360) 357 - 7315 \ /