Re: RE [MV] Winch Cable

Stephen Somers (stephen.somers@virgin.net)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:08:07 -0800

Lars Svaasand wrote:

> You need a good preservative oil for the cable. Used engine oil
> is not a good idea, as it may contain contaminations that may
> corrode the wire. WD-40 or similar thin oil evaporates fast, and
> leaves no long term protection.

I wasn't going to contribute to this one, but FWIW:
I had an electric winch on an earlier Series IIa SWB Land Rover, and
protected the cable with axle grease. It has staying power and, applied
with a cloth (to prevent excessive depositing), it didn't pick up all the
ambient dust and grit.

As to cable shear whiplash - I used to place an old blanket over the
cable about half way along its deployment. The theory is that it acts a
damper in the event of a shear* which, I am happy to say, I have never
suffered.

--
Steve Somers (Project Leader)

'75 Land Rover 101" Forward Control, 1-Tonne, General Service (62FL50 - Royal Artillery/2 Commando)

* If this fails, at least your body comes ready-wrapped for the medics!