Re[2]: [MV] AN PRC-77

wbuonau@tec1.apg.army.mil
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:57:18 -0500

The PRC 77 low band is 30-52.95 MHz and High Band 53-75.95, they
are step tuned (clicks when you turn knob) in 50 khz channel spacing
so you get about 900 plus channels. Easier to use than the older
continuous type tuning radios. I doubt if you could change anything
easily since the inside is a bunch of sealed plug in modules.

Subject: Re: [MV] AN PRC-77
Author: <SBJohnston@aol.com> at SMTPLink-TECOM
Date: 2/25/99 9:49 AM

vilgos@juno.com writes:

>I have an AN PRC-77 radiio in my M-151A and use the high band but
> was wondering if anyone knows if the low band could be increased
>to receive commercial FM broadcasts?

I'm not familiar with the details of the PRC-77 (too new for me!) but I would
point out that all the 1950's and 60's US military FM units I've experiemented
with are designed for transmitting and receiving a "medium" bandwidth FM
signal. Commerical FM 88-108 MHz uses a wide FM signal +/- 75 kHz which would
probably sound real bad monitored on a narrow or medium bandwidth receiver.
Such may well be the case for the PRC-77.

You can probably find out more by posting your question on the
"milsurplus@qth.net' mailing list. Subscribe by either going to