Re: [MV] Insurance underwriters?

mtowers@netxpress.com
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:10:48 -0600

islander wrote:

> I'm in a bit of a pickle. My insurance company is having a hard time
> finding someone to underwrite my Weasel for liability (not to mention
> property value!). I need this to get more favorable terms with my bank
> (hey why pay cash when you can go into debt instead <g>). My company can
> find 1000 underwriters for something like a snowmobile which can wrap
> around a tree at 80mph at a moments notice, but nobody wants to cover a
> Weasel. Go figure!
>
> My problems are typical. I am asking the insurance companies to use
> their brains instead of their tables, and that isn't working. Because
> the Weasel is 50 yrs old, packs a big engine, has tracks, and is not a
> standard commercially available make or model there are a lot of dead
> ends facing my quest.
>
> If anybody can help me out with a name and phone number of an insurance
> underwriter, I would appreciate it! Also, I can't find a great webpage
> out there that I stumbled across some months ago. Talks about titles,
> insurance, what not to do with your MBT, and other really useful things.
> So if I could get the URL for this, again my thanks!
>
> Steve
>
> ===
My solution to a similar problem (a '72 duece) was to register the
vehicle as a Farm Truck and insure it through my county Farm Bureau.
They were more than happy to do it. (Of course, I do have a small ranch,
and a bunch of other insurance with them; but, even so, it did not seem
like a big deal to them.) Maybe it's time to dump your present insurance
agent and find one that will give you some service. That's exactly what
I did with Farmer's.
Like I said, try the Farm Bureau. They sure treat me right.
BTW: I have no connection with them other than being a happy customer.
Mike T.