Re: [MV] Wire Rope

Rod Diery (rod@rocketship.com)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:27:07 +0800

>While I was in the Coast Guard we used Moly-B-Denum grease on all wire rope
>and towing hausers. This grease looks like peanut butter in apperance.
>Moly-B stuck so well and repelled salt water that we only wiped down cables
>and applied fresh Moly-B every six months. Hope this helps everyone.

The grease applied to steel wire rope in marine applications is only to
protect the rope from salt induced corrosion. It does not lubricate the rope
for general use. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, a lubricant is
contained in the rope's core and is released when the the outer strands
squeeze the core under tension thereby lubricating the strands. The rope
needs to be re-lubricated regularly depending on the amount of use it gets.
There are steel wire rope lubricants available commercially but chain saw
chain and bar oil is a very close and easier to find substitute.

Regards

Rod Diery
rod@rocketship.com
Kulin, Western Australia