Re: [MV] Insurance underwriters?

Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:44:44 -0500

>>The Weasel is a tracked truck. Not sure how this is lying.
>
>First off, the legal reason why the Weasel can not be called a truck:

"
truck (truk), —n.

any of various forms of vehicle for carrying goods and materials, usually
consisting of a single self-propelled unit but also often composed of a
trailer vehicle hauled by a tractor unit.
"

A Weasel is most definitely a truck. No mention of wheels. Sorry if this
doesn't fit your "mental image" of a truck.

>But the Weasel, by Maine State law, can not be registered with
>the department of motor vehicles because it isn't allowed on
>roads due to the fact that it doesn't have wheels.

You definitely have a problem then. And I am puzzled as to what the problem
is then. If you can't drive it on the roads, you can't get it registered.
If it isn't registered, it can't be driven right? (What is the liability
risk of your vehicle just sitting?) That leaves only off-road use or use on
your own property. Doesn't your home-owners policy cover this?

>I use the "common definition test" for stuff like this. In other words,
>what do people think of when you say truck? I bet you wheels will be
>part of that mental image for sure. So by not mentioning that there are
>no wheels you are, in most people's minds, lying. At the very least you
>are being purposefully deceitful, and that is all the insurance company
>needs to dispute paying out a claim for or against you.

I'm just trying to help you out here. If you don't like my definition, then
you can ignore it. I'm certainly not a lawyer in insurance claims area.
Just an average Joe who has battled the DMV before. If your state does not
allow you to drive it, I fail to see the problem here. Sounds like you have
an expensive lawn ornament....

Todd Paisley