Re: [MV] Generator Repair

David Ross (ross@hypertools.com)
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 13:24:34 -0800

Robert -

At 03:11 PM 03/04/99 -0500, Robert Bell wrote:
>I'm going to look at an ex-military generator (3KW) with a four cylinder
>Continental engine that produces both single phase and triple phase
>current (according to the owner). The current owner says that it needs
>some repair in that it is not producing 60 cycles (at least that's what
>the gauge indicates) and that he hasn't been able to get it set
>properly. My questions are: 1) Is setting and maintaining 60 cycles a
>costly procedure? and, 2) what's a fair price for a unit like I've
>described?

The generator which you describe sounds like the MEP-016A "MIL-STD"
genset. It's engine has a mechanical governor which can be adjusted to set
the 60 cycle frequency - the adjustment is trivial and the MEP-016A
generator has a frequency meter built-in.

Be sure that the generator is intended to produce 60 cycle power - a
very similar-looking generator (the MEP-021A) exists which produces 400
cycles.

The data plate should be on the right-hand side of the control & meter
enclosure.

good luck with it
Dave Ross ross@hypertools.com