Re: [MV] Public Use of MV's

DP Dusenbury (dp@interpath.com)
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 22:50:14 -0500

Sean Butler wrote:

> Brian & List,
> I'm the president of a local 4x4 club, we are registered with local churches
> for disaster relief. Please follow the link below. It's our local news
> paper's website with an article on our efforts.
> Thanks.

One of our local 4x4 clubs did that last year when a hurricane brushed
the Outer Banks. Most of the roads were washed over with a foot to
several feet of sand, it was several days before they even started to
clear them. Seems that tasks ranged from ferrying supplies to the aid
centers, to running officials down the beach to survey damage, etc.
There was a good active duty military presence on site, but the 4x4'ers
were put to use. They coordinated thru the Red Cross, were assigned to
various agencies. Unfortunately, these volunteers were from an area
unaffected by the storm, and had to return to work after a couple of
days. Most communties have a local Red Cross organization, that may be
a start, whether you are an individual or a club. Our local hospital
organizes and advertises for four-wheelers during inclement weather.

Unfortunately, during a natural disaster, citizens are expected to stay
home and keep out of the way while others clean up. I know when
Hurricane Fran came through our area, that there was a curfew imposed.
I guess with the levels of stupidity in the general population, that is
a good idea. I was just brought up to help others in need. Working
through an established agency may be the only way to accomplish that in
some situations.

--