RE: [MV] Mil Gen reliability/durability

Greg David (ict@best.com)
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:50:15 -0800

Hi,

I have a couple of these 3kw gen-sets that came out of a M101A2 (mil-veh
related topic);-) and I was wondering if anybody has found a commercial
equivalent in 12V to the mil 24V starter motor. I would think that the
starter motor must be of a pretty standard design and that there would be
one used on lawn tractors or civilian gen-sets. I'd like to have electric
start, but want to use only one battery and be able to easily charge it or
jump from a car. Also has anyone played around with supplementing the
standard mufflers? I take it our armed forces must build some pretty
hardcore shelters to drown out the noise of these things.

Regards,

Greg