Re: [MV] Importation of Military Vehicles

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:19:40 -0600 (CST)

>To get the facts/background/legal authority for the alleged ban on the
>importation of military vehicles and parts, the most productive method
>would appear to be to file a Freedom of Information (FOIA) Act request
>with the State Department and/or BATF, and request all documentation,
>laws, regulations or Executive Orders authorizing such action.

You can try that but they are going to charge you for it. It's not free
unless you can prove that you are being affected some how. For example if
you had money down on an vehicle comming back into the US (along the lines
of what everyone has been talking about lately) and it was being held up,
then you could make a claim as you stated and not have to pay for it. I
tried a number of years ago to get info from the DOT regarding rollover test
data for the Mutts as well as a number of civilian vehicles. They refused
unless I paid. I don't remeber what term they were talking about but
knowing how voluminious (I think that's a word?) governent documents can be
I decided that my rent and electric bill were a higher priority.

Here again is were an organization like the MMVA could really shine. They
were so limp-dicked with the mutt situation that I won't hold my breath with
this one.

je