Re: [MV] Starter Problems in L134 engine

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:47:15 -0600 (CST)

>My starter does not have an encapsulated (nose cone) end, just a shaft
>sticking out. I've seen starters with the nose cone, should I try one of
>those?

My CJ-2A (and MB's also) have a pilot bearing in the bell housing to accept
the end of that starter shaft your talking about. Is that bearing in good
shape? If it was missing or severely worn I could see how the starter might
bind up.

>From the rest of your message (which I already deleted) I'm not sure I
understand what the problem is however. Is the starter not disengaging
after the engine starts? As I think about it, I'm not sure that my starter
actually disengages (all the time anyway) if I attempt to start it and fail
because the next time I hit the floor switch I don't hear the noise of the
bendix throwing out (unless the engine pop'd which would obviously kick it
back in).

je