Re: [MV] UNIMOG STEERING

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 08:29:45 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Foley <redmenaced@yahoo.com>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 20 March 1999 00:29
Subject: Re: [MV] UNIMOG STEERING

>I hope he also told you that the safest way is to ONLY pull on the
>crank, as the position of your hand and wrist when pushing or doing a
>complete revolution is such that if the engine backfires it will fold
>your arm up in a way it wasn't meant to go. If you use a pulling
>motion and encounter a backfire the crank will just slip from your
>hand and leave you with a sore hand.

It can still be dangerous; as the crank whips back safely out of your
hand but then breaks the fore-arm from the other side.

Beware.

I have noticed here, however, that many older UK mil engines and all the
RR B Range of the 50's and 60's are in fact timed _statically_ after TDC
making a kick back unlikely, we observe these have some centrifugal
advance operative at idle.

Weather an intentional safeguard or not we don't know, but starting
handles were part of the official kit.

Richard
(Southampton UK)