Re: [MV] m211 shimmy

M2116X6@aol.com
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:34:24 EST

In a message dated 3/22/99 4:01:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, flmv@netrax.net
writes:

> HOW DID THEY BALANCE YOUR FRONT TIRES?
> HAVE YOU TRIED ROTATING SOME OF THE REAR TIRES TO THE FRONT AXEL, TO SEE IF
> THE
> PROBLEM CHANGES?
>
> BEST WAY TO BALANCE TRUCK TIRES IS POWDER CALLED EQUAL.

My front wheels were balanced with the equal powder. Both front tires are of
equal tread, size and brand. Balancing did not help. We also took two wheels
from the rear which had the same O.D., balanced them and installed them up
front. Still no luck. Keeping a low air pressure helps a bit but I still can't
exceed 40 mph without watching out for every seam, crack and bump in the
roads. I'm not trying to do 60 mph in this truck. I would just like to be able
to cruise at 50 mph is comfortable enough without winding it out and not worry
about the death wobble.

I should also mention that we did toe the wheels in 1 deg. No apparent play in
the trunion bearings and also no shims to remove top or bottom. Tie rod ends
are tight. All axle rods are tight. No frame problems. This truck is a winch
model so I do have the extra 500 lbs. up front. Although I don't think that
matters since there are non winch trucks without any shimmy.

I don't want to install a damper since that isn't really fixing the problem.

Jim Maier
'52 GMC M211 2-1/2 ton Cargo
'54 Dodge M43 Ambulance