Re: [MV] Re: Chieftain Main Battle Tank

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:10:48 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Stockman <steyraug@erols.com>
To: G740@aol.com <G740@aol.com>; Mil-Veh@skylee.com <Mil-Veh@skylee.com>
Date: 24 March 1999 02:30
Subject: [MV] Re: Chieftain Main Battle Tank

>I've been offered a Chieftain main battle tank and would like to know
if anyone
>knows what they are worth. It is supposed to be in excellent, running
>condition. The 120mm main gun has been demilled, and the MAG-58
machine guns
>have been removed. Thanks,

Neat examples here are typically priced at 10K UKP or so which I assume
includes a haggle allowance, they don't sell all that well as most of us
don't have the space to handle 52 tons of armour or the capacity to haul
one to a show, road legal Abbots and Scorpions being more desirable and
expensive.

The FN MAG-58 MG's were the chosen weapon by the US and Canada although
tests by the US mil found the British, purpose designed L8A2 GPMG to be
superior to any other comparable weapon at the time.

Chieftain was a very good MBT dogged by an unreliable engine and
transmission which had the project nearly cancelled several times,
although taking many years the later marks had most of the troubles
cured by successive modification.

What you have been offered must therefore be an export Chieftain for
Canada or the US.

Richard
(Southampton UK)