Re: [MV] repro tubs again

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:18:19 -0600

> A few months ago, someone was asking what the significant differences
> between original body tubs, and reproduction ones.
>
> At this point, I believe I can give an informed analysis of the
> differences between the body that is currently marketed by Archer
> Brothers in Hayward, CA, and the original. I couldn't do it before,
> because I didn't have a good original tub to compare it to, so I
> couldn't say what was different. Now I think I can.
>
> I purchased a brand new replacement tub from Archer Brothers in late
> 1997. It came well protected in a large wooden crate. I purchased
> the complete kit, including windshield frame, hood, both fenders,
> grille, tub, and tailgate.
>
> The application was a 1952 Willys M38. The reproduction tub was
> imported from the Philippines, and had the customs forms on the crate
> to prove it. I didn't take notice of the manufacturer at that time.

< remainder deleted>

Would this be the same source as the body I bought from the Phillipines
around 1980? I seem to have had almost the same complaints and more.
General quality overall was pretty crappy. The stuff I have seen the last
few years (I assume from other than Phillipine sources) seem really nice.

je