Re: [MV] Lug nuts

Jim Rice (jimrice@sirinet.net)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:39:10 -0600

I've been around and using HMMWV for over ten years now, including a stint
as a Battalion Maintenance Officer in Germany. I have never heard of such a
set-up as you described.

There is in fact, a single nut which holds the wheel hub in the geared hub
assembly. This nut is, however, internal and keyed. Yes, if the key is
left out, it will come off. I have seen this happen a couple of times. In
1990-91 there was a Armywide message requiring the immediate checking of
these hubs to ensure all were keyed.

This is the ONLY single nut which holds on a HMMWV wheel which I am aware
of.

Jim Rice
Lawton, OK