Re: [MV] Make your own threadless M100 FENDER BOLTS!

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:03:59 -0500

The stuff I have used before is muriatic acid, the same stuff you dump in
your pool to correct PH. Anyway, my Dad has done this for years with
good results also. Not a big deal. If you leave an open vessel of acid
near other steel for a period of time, it will have the effect to cause
accelerated rusting, but it has to sit there for quite a while and unless
you are using a garbage can full of the stuff for days at a time, it
really shouldn't be a problem. Fertilizer works the same way, never,
never leave a bag of fertilizer near your MV (or anything worthwhile made
of metal) for any period of time, as the fertilizer is a powerful
corrosive that will greatly accelerate rusting especially during high
humidity conditions. Using baking soda to neutralize the acid is also a
very good idea. About 1/2 lb of good ol' Arm and Hammer in a 2 gallon
pail of water works well to neutralize residual acid.

BTW, extensive dipping of steel in I believe both HCL and H2SO4
(Hydrocloric and Sulfuric acid) can cause hydrogen embrittlement of
steel. (It loses strength) That's why chrome plated fasteners are
usually weaker than non-chrome plated stuff. They have to acid dip the
parts to get them chemically clean first. The hydrogen gets into the
steel and weakens it. If you don't leave it in the bucket of acid for a
long period of time, the effect should be minimal.
Dave Cole