Re: [MV] Lug nuts (Wheel Nuts)

Tim Bell (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:51:13 +0100

Yep - not much fun if the hubs are on the wrong sides... when I bought my
Bedford MWV, I'd just left the Dept of Transport Test centre with my MOT
Certificate, about 2 miles down the road I could hear this banging sound
coming from the front passenger side wheel... looking throught the floor of
the truck (through a hole which is supposed to be there) I could see the
front wheel shaking... I stopped to find all the wheel nuts on that wheel
very loose... I tightened them up and carried on, only to find the symptoms
returned... when I reached my destination, a friend suggested the hubs were
on the wrong sides. It transpired that they were, and like me the previous
owner (who'd had the hubs off) didnt know there was a difference... I do
now... swapping the hubs was easy.

I now drive with the confidence that the wheel nuts tighten agains the wheel
as the wheels turn... rather than loosen. I was really lucky it wasnt
serious... I drove the truck some 400 miles between buying it and needing to
get it retested... and I'm really certain that the MOT Test of the steering
gear resulted caused the wheel to start loosening.... unfortunately I
believe that with a Gross Unladened weight of 2.9 Tons, it isnt heavy enough
to be MOT exempt.... needing to be 3.5 tons or more...

If your hubs are on the wrong sides, the wheel nuts loosen as you drive
along... if you get it wrong and your wheel comes off ..... 8-((((

As I understand it now... the Left hand thread goes on the Left and the
right hand thread on the Right... simple.

Happy Motoring

Tim

Ps - Incase you're wondering... put simply... the MOT Certificate is a
British requirement for vehicles of certain age and weight to have annually
to prove they are safe to be on the road.... and not about to fall apart....
I wonder what the Police would have said... the ink on my MOT Certificate
still being wet.... ;-)