Re: [MV] Lug nuts (Wheel Nuts)

Juho Paaso (jmpaaso@dlc.fi)
Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:17:45 +0300

Douglas Greville wrote:

> Alan
>

> But you would tighten them as 1,3,5,2,4, much like a cylinder head is
> evenly tightened down? You do this, then repeat the pattern as a check.
> Several times I have found it necessary to do it a third time as the first
> one or 2 nuts were noticeably looser than the last ones to be tightened.
>
> This pattern was supposedly to assure that the wheel would not be buckled
> by an uneven amount of tension, and that all nuts would be of similar
> tension.

Well atleast I'm not the only one who has been taught the above said method
! I recall someone saying that the reason for to this sequence is precisely
the same as in tightening the cylinder head..... In anycase it has worked for
me and I haven't lost o wheel yet due to loosening nuts - nor overtigthened
nuts either....

Must be something to it then...

As for the local workshop method ie. tigten them all as they come . I don't
know. I once asked a mechanic about it and he just gave me this weird look ,
as if he were about to start explaining the higher math involved, yeah right
! Never got an answer ...

But how about this ? The opposed sequence thing-ama-jammer is only useful
with those steel, rims ( old ), since they do yield a bit ??? But these new
fangled hard alloy rims don't yield (bend) as much (or at all ?) , so it
makes no diffrence how one tightens them on ???

Any knowledgeable feedback to prove my theory wrong ?

PS. I'm still working on getting those finn armor & arty pictures online.
Snows almost gone so its time... Also I should be getting another "mystery"
tank picture shortly ... but more about those later....

--
Juho Paaso