Re: [MV] M series speedo calibration

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 20:52:59 -0500

>You cannot really begin to consider accuracy without a calibration
>reference, how is exact road speed to be measured ? Using another
>vehicle as a pace car is not a true reference.

I thought that there was a universal standard for speedometer cables. Like
X rpm of the cable for Y MPH on the display (is it 1000rpm=60mph maybe????,
I don't remember). That way you can get the gearing correct in the tranny
and use any speedo unit. I think there is something about this in either
the Stewart-Warner catalog or the Datcom catalog.

You can count revolutions of the cable for a given distance traveled to see
if the gearing is correct and you can drive the speedometer head with a
motor to see if the indication is correct. That's what I did on my M715
when I changed axle gears. Rather than fool around with the gears in the
tranfer case I just figured out the ratio difference I needed and had one of
those little adapter gear boxes made up from S-W.

je