[MV] Re: M211 engine and vehicle torque

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 20:30:01 -0500

Ken,

If you don't know the torque of the engine, (I've never seen torques
published for mil engines?) then you can get a good guess by doing the
calculations based upon the max speed of the engine. Chances are that
the engine produces max hp at max rpm. So to figure torque, use this
formula hp = rpm* torque(ft-lb)/5252 and turn it around.

Hence, torque= hp*5252/rpm.

Then you can guess that max torque is probably about 120% of torque at
the max rpm and that should be a good guess.

To get max torque at axles, multiple max engine torque * reduction ratio
to axles in a certain gear.... ie 300 lb-ft * 5 (transmission) * 2
(transfer case) * 6.00 (axle) = ??

To get ground traction (max pull assuming no slip) divide final torque by
radius of tires in ft.

Dave