Re: [MV] Mil Veh ignitions - Pertronix kit, retrofit, etc.

Alan Bowes (inbox@todacosa.com)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 16:58:43 -0600

Michael Carradine wrote:

> At 12:53 PM 4/7/99 -0600, you wrote:
> >I've retrofitted an M37 distributor with a Pertronix kit, and it seems to
> >bench test just fine, although I haven't tried it on a vehicle yet. NOTE that
> >I had to do some customizing, including custom-fitting a magnet ring to slide
> >over the M37 distributor cam, installing a small resistor to drop the 24-28V
> >down to the 12-14V range for the control circuit supply in the Pertronix
> >sensor, and drilling/tapping the breaker plate to accept the sensor.
>
> Pertronix makes 24V units, such as the one we use
> on the 24V ex-NATO Unimogs.
>
> -Michael
> www.unimog.com

Yes, but IF I recall correctly, none of the 24V sensors would fit properly in the
M37 distributor and line up with where the magnet sleeve would need to run, and
also provide adequate clearance from the rotor arm and high voltage. A Pertronix
dealer sent an M37 cam and rotor (that I supplied) to Pertronix to try to find the
best match-up and it seems that their verdict was to use the 12V unit that I ended
up installing, which I believe was made for a Mallory distributor. It still
required a custom-fitted magnet sleeve and custom mounting to the breaker plate.

I can only assume that they checked all available units. Perhaps they have added
something new since then (I did this conversion last year), but as far as I know,
at that time, there were no 24V units that would fit. The M37 distributor is
particularly cramped for space vertically compared to the civilian Dodge Power
Wagon distributor because the rotor is placed lower (shorter distributor cam
shaft), putting it quite a bit closer to the breaker plate. The sensor that I used
was a low-profile unit mounted right down against the breaker plate, allowing it
to line up perfectly with the magnet ring that I modified. The magnet ring is at
about the same height vertically as the cam.

It was certainly easy to add the small resistor for the control circuit, and with
the 12-ohm coil, I think that the current load on the switching transistor should
be within its design limits, so I don't see any obvious problems with this
approach, although like I said, I'm not an electrical engineer, so no
guarantee...this is only experimental!

However, if anyone happens to know about a 24V Pertronix (or other brand) ignition
conversion module that WILL fit inside an M37 distributor, please let me know what
model it is. I'll order one and try it out.

If anyone else has any experience in converting M37 or similar distributors to
breakerless ignition, please post your information.

Alan