Re: [MV] Military museums in Great Britain

Tim Bell (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 18:41:47 +0100

Hi

I'd recommend Bletchley park Museum, nr Milton Keynes... not only are there
loads of other Military things relating to Aircraft, code breaking,
Churchill, National Fire Service and the Blitz, but we also have over 50
MV's based there on a semi-permanent basis... I say that because 95% are
taxed and road-worthy and sometimes as many as 15 can be off site at one
time if there is a really good show on locally. Here's a list from the last
time i compiled one...

WW2

1940 Bedford / Scammell OX Cargo
1944 Bedford MWV - RAF Pattern Signals
1944 Bedford QL Radio
1944 Bedford QL Office
1938 Mercury RAF Bomb Tractor and Bomb Trailers
Humber Heavy Utility Car (RAF)
Humber 8cwt Truck
Humber Radio Truck
Humber 15cwt Ambulance
Humber Armoured Car (RAF)
Daimler Dingo Scout Car (Desert)
Daimler Dingo Scout Car (Green)
Universal Carrier T16
Ford/Canada Carrier
Bofors 20mm AA Gun
25 Pdr Field Gun
Austin K6 (RAF) Office Body
Fordson WOT 6 Workshop
1945 Ford GPW
Willys MB
GMC Welding Truck (Cab over engine Bus type)
Scammell Pioneer Recovery
10cwt 1st Pattern British Mortar Trailer
Searchlight

Non WW2

Czech Half-Track - Repro German WW2 (Under maintenance)
Armstrong Bombadier Motorcycle
Bedford RL GS Cargo
Bedford RL Recovery
Soviet Motorcycle and Sidecar combo.
Alvis Saladin
Alvis Stalwart (under maintenance)
Antar Tank Transporter and Trailer
Centurion Tank (under maintenance)
Chieftain Tank (under maintenance)
432 Armoured Personnel Carrier
RAF Landrover Ambulance
Green Goddess Fire-engine
Albion 3 ton GS Office (Under maintenance)
Various Landrovers and Sankey Trailers
Foden Truck
Various Large Military Generators.

Other Items:

Various Tents
Uniforms and equipment
Deactivated weapons - including Bren, Sten, MG34, MP44, K98, No4, SMLE, SLR,
Sterling, GPMG,
Anderson Shelter

All of the Above vehicles are in running roadworthy condition unless stated
under maintenance.

This list is our current stock, however it should be remembered that
everything is privately owned and on loan to the museum, such that vehicles
"in stock" change on a regular basis.

In addition, other museum departments may be able to provide other
equipment, especially the Fire Section who have several WW2 AFS and NFS fire
engines and pumps.

Contact Info:

Bletchley Park Museum Web Site : http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/

This web site does NOT do the place justice regarding exhibits... however
you will get opening times there.

Hope this helps

Regards

Tim