[MV] D-Day, Normandy 1999 (Long post, sorry)

Antoine Compin (acompin@earthlink.net)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 19:58:16 -0700

Hello fellow listees..

I am a French guy who has been living in California for the past 16 years or
so... even before I left France I made a pact with a few of my high-school and
college friends to meet in Normandy every 5 years for D-DAy commemoration.
During the course of the years we have, between ourselves, accumulated a
number
of mil-vehs, but also lost interest in the "bigger"ones after they were
restored, and only kept a Jeep here and there and mostly motorcycles. We were
part of the founding members of the MVCG France (in the mid 70's) and we now
constitue a little group of riders (middle-aged guys in their mid-to
late-fifties) who live their own life within the various groups of collectors
involved in the Normandy ceremonies. Because we all speak English, we often
volunteer to help and guide veterans to the sites they once "visited" 55 years
ago, and to act as translators between them and their former hosts or their
relatives when thay can be found... We are not affiliated with any groups,
though, technically, we have to join "some" club for access to the lodging and
camp facilities. We usually camp under a large US Army platoon tent, with a
separate tent to shelter the bikes.

We will be happy to assist in any which way we can the
foreign-language-challenged Americans visiting Normandy, in particular the
veterans and their families.
SInce we are riding solo bikes we cannot offer rides, only motorcycle escorts
(with Sirens and red flashing lights) to our occasional VIP visitors (Read:
bona-fide Veterans): it is always easy to find a willing Jeep or Command Car
for them to ride in, either in the Bayeux parade or to a location of their
choice.

One other thing: I have a Willys MB (1943) and MB Trailer garaged in Normandy,
but it has been a long time since I was there and able to drive it a bit. It
would need to go to a garage and be checked out, oil cahnged, brakes adjusted
etc... If anyone wants to drive a nice Jeep while visiting Normandy for D-Day,
and to participate in the parades, I would be willing to have the local garage
look at it and make it roadworthy if any interested party is willing to cover
that cost (not too expensive) and the cost of insurance (if any additional
cost). Of course, my interest in this is to have someone along with our group
of 8 to 10 Military Harley riders, to carry spares and gasoline in the
trailer,
and give a ride to veterans during the parades. In these big events in France,
the more "independent" you are, the more fun you have.

I will post the program of the ceremonies as soon as I receive it from France.
I will be in Normandy from June 4th to June 10th.

Contact me if you wish... About my offer for the jeep, serious inquiries only,
please. I don't want to run a huge phone bill back and forth with France for
nothing... If you know of a Veteran and his family who need help over there,
refer him to me.

Regards to all, and my apologies for the long slightly off-topic post.