Re: [MV] S&S FMTV

mtowers@netxpress.com
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 21:06:38 -0500

Shane G Deemer wrote:

> Sir, I am not sure where you get your information from; I noticed some
> errors in it.
>
> >I was just in Texas doing business and saw truck loads of thease being
> >hauled down there.
>
> ----------------------
> Who exactly did you ask about this?
>
> I ask about it and was told by someone who said he
> >knew what seems to be happening.The first ones are just plain bad news
> >and there is more problems then being reported
>
> ---------------------------
> A stolen contract? I doubt that. Stewart & Stevenson has built a much
> better vehicle than AM General. "FMTV costs nearly $5.00 per miles less to
> operate than the existing antiquated fleet of M35 and M939 trucks. Overall,
> FMTV is the most cost-effective tactical truck ever procured by the U.S.
> military. "
>
> its kind of a major
> >secert as this contact was like stolen from AM General and others and
>
> "Newsday questioned the company's experience assembling wheeled vehicles.
> Stewart &
> Stevenson has been assembling and manufacturing vehicles since World
> War II, when the
> company built and rebuilt trucks for the U.S. Army. In recent years,
> the company has built or
> assembled thousands of trucks, buses, airline ground support vehicles,
> and tactical trailers for
> U.S. and foreign customers. On the FMTV program, Stewart & Stevenson
> assembles trucks
> incorporating components manufactured by U.S. Army approved vendors
> throughout the
> United States. These components which represent about 80 percent of
> the cost of a FMTV
> are purchased from union and non-union suppliers. "
>
> >given to a company who had no experance in building this type of
> >thing.
>
> -------------------------
>
> Who exactly is this we?
>
> "Most importantly, FMTVs currently being delivered to the Army far exceed
> contractual
> requirements in safety, reliability and performance. This fact is
> supported by Army records
> obtained in more than one million miles of testing conducted on FMTV
> since program
> inception in 1991. The consistent 98 percent availability rating
> achieved in the field and the
> 8,000 miles between failures (against a requirement of 3,000) verify
> this trucks superiority.
> FMTV already has surpassed the capabilities of all previous Army
> medium tactical truck
> programs.
>
> Strict quality safeguards are in place to prevent truck defects. The
> FMTV facility in Sealy
> assembles trucks at a quality rate of 99.96%, virtually error free on
> the moving production
> line. A recent independent ISO 9001 audit of Stewart & Stevenson's
> system and processes
> reconfirmed the quality certification. "

> [...]

So, Shane:
As a taxpayer and a fellow Texan (over near Bandera), and the quite
satisfied owner of a '72 duece with an LDT 465 1D engine, I would like
to keep an open mind about S/S's FMTV program.

....when can I come over for a plant tour and an up-close look at the
new 2-1/2 ton trucks? (I would LOVE to drive one, but I realize that may
be out of the question.)

Mike T.
M35A2C
et al