Re: [MV] 24V Coil

T. Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:04:58 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi list,
> are the 24V coils used in the M151 series interchangeable with other 24V
> vehicle coils?

Yes. I have mixed and matched these with different distributors.
Watch out for the physical size and primary resistance if you are
not sure of their original application.

If the coil appears shorter, then it is used with an external
series resistor. The short 24V coils measured 4.5 ohms. The
series resistor added 1.5 ohms more to the primary circuit.
This type of coil can be used in 12V applications without the
resistor.

There are 6V coils that look just like there 24V brothers.
These measure about 2 ohms.

The actual resistance values vary as much as 20-30%, depending
on the manufacturer. The secondary side measures from 10,000-
15,000 ohms.

Look for no more then 3-4 amp current draw with the points
closed. With the engine running, the current drops to about
1/2 of that.

On a working system, the spark is HOT. So watch out!

> what are the correct resistance values for the coils primary and secondary
> windings? I can find no reference for those. thanks
> Scott Watson, swatson@jps.net

Ted H.