Re: [MV] Stripping alloy M151 rims

Bdk (bdk@geocities.com)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:39:28 -0700

Magnesium is kind of an oddball material since it so readily turns into
magnesium oxide.

Use 150 grit or finer aluminum oxide. Use fresh abrasive if possible,
otherwise yiou may imbed iron oxide particles in your part, which can
initaite dissimilar material corrosion. If you blast a hole through it,
it was too corroded to be used anyhow! Sand would probably work, but use
low pressure and used sand if possible so too much material isn't
removed.

Some chemical strippers (Methylene Chloride) may cause embrittlement in
magnesium. The specific alloy of magnesium probably has an affect too.
Alchohol based strippers (Dan Swett's, MEK, etc.) probably don't. Rinse
thoroughly with fresh water, especially in the nooks and crannies.

If you use a chemical stripper, after rinsing, bake the part in an
(electric) oven at 170 to 200 degrees F until dry.

Don't leave bare magnesium exposed for any longer than necessary.

Inspect carefully for corrosion and/or cracks.

It's best to pickle the magnesium using chromic acid....but since this
is only a jeep.....

Degrease thoroughly using prep-sol or other pre-paint degreaser.

Paint with a 2 part epoxy primer to seal the surface and prevent future
corrosion, then paint with the color of your choice.

The biggest problem with magnesium is corrosion, plus it has lower
strength than steel or aluminum.

Please don't try to burn the paint off with a propane torch. Magnesium
is flammable!

bdk
Boeing engineer...
New M-151A2 owner (I'm new, not the jeep!)
'42 Dodge WC-54 Ambulance
'43 SNJ-4