Re: [MV] Petrol and Diesel Storage capabilities algae

Philip Waterman (waterman@tellink.net)
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 07:59:44 -0400

Back in the 60s I was involved in testing the growth of algae in oils and
fuels. It is not the air that is the problem it is the water that causes
the process to start. The algae will grew in every petrolium product that
we tested at that time: motor oil, regular gas, ave gas, hydralic oil,
diesel fuel. During the test we had samples of all the different samples
one set sealed just as they came from the orginal container, the next with
just a small amount of dirt and water added and one with a small amount of
distilled water added. All the samples were kept in the dark at 70-80
degrees. With in a short period of time (one-two weeks) algea had started
to grow in all the samples with any water added.