Re: [MV] S&S FMTV

Stephen Somers (stephen.somers@virgin.net)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:51:59 -0700

Ken wrote:

> I am
> aware that there were experiments with wheeled armored vehicles in the first
> World War. I believe that these too, were based on civilian vehicles that
> were field modified to help the infantry and were not specifically designed
> as such.(I.E. climb a 60% grade, forge 30 inches of water, or whatever the
> specifications might be.) Again, I may be wrong.

Indeed, as you all know, T E Lawrence served in the desert campaign when
their armoured cars, equipped with machine guns, were actually converted
Rolls Royce cars!

(Engineering pedigree WILL tell in the end - look at the RR B40-engined
Champ!)

--
Steve Somers (Project Leader)

'75 Land Rover 101" Forward Control, 1-Tonne, General Service (62FL50 - Royal Artillery/2 Commando)