Re: [MV] Slick 50

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:14:35 -0500

>Does anyone have a recommendation as to an additive, like slick 50, that
>can be used in the transmissions and transfer cases to help them run
>smoother and quiter.

No, I fail to see what is wrong with garden variety gear oil. I would not
be so biased against this stuff (slick 50, duralube, etc) if their adds on
TV were not pure fraud, deceipt and lies. When the duralube 'info-mercials'
where making there rounds a bunch of us (all engineers or similar) watched
it and picked the damn thing to pieces. If there is actual scientific proof
that it does better than the stock lubricant in the particular application
then I'd at least look into it. I had one of these people bring his little
machine into the shop one day to try to convince me to buy some industrial
version of this stuff. He had his little routine down pat, but he wasn't
prepared for my line of questioning/commenting.

A few of our observations were:

1) nobody that uses that stuff (and swears by it) has any ability to do a
long term statistically significant comparison as to its effectiveness v.s.
stock products in the same application.

2) In the case of a gear box, the contact area of the gears, the torque put
thru them, and the lube specs have all been predetermined such that you will
have sufficient film strength to prevent metal to metal contact. Adding
something that increases film strength even more serves no additional
purpose. The conditions that they demonstrate with those motor driven test
machines are way outside the envelope of what you would ever have in a
properly designed system.

3)Running an engine without oil is not that impressive if you look into the
physics of babbit bearings.

4)I won't even get into the total fraud commited with the water in the
distributor cap routine.

There's more but this topic has done the rounds so many times and it just
pisses me off anyway. If you want to waste your money fine. I'll spend mine
on other things more benificial.

je