Re: [MV] S&S FMTV

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:25:37 -0500

>While I understand that the FMTV's conform to special DOD standards I
>find it hard to believe that Navistar or Ford could not modify their
>truck lines to make trucks that meet the requirements.......

Conforming to standards and modifying off the line trucks is only part of
the cost issue. When you contract with the DOD to make stuff you can't just
say that it meets Mil-Std-461B (emi & emc) or Mil-Std-810C (shock,
vibration, temperature, altitude, fungus, corrosion, etc), or a laundry list
of other specs. You must test it and prove that it does. With the
production runs as small (relatively speaking) as they are, this adds ALOT
of expense to the total contract cost. Again, I'm not saying that I agree
that all of these specs and all of this testing is necessary, but that's the
way the current system is.

je