Re: [MV] RE new mil trucks and WW2 trucks

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 22:47:06 -0500

>Now, can any of you who have restored M274 Mules provide me with the
>secrets you may have learned along the way? For instance, to remove the
>left handed interlinked dumaflitchit, you need to turn it a quarter turn to
>the left, tap your foot four times,....

I had my mule reduced to all of its individual component peices (i.e.
stripped). Not sure what the left handed interlinked thing'y is your
talking about, tell me more.

>Is there anything I need to keep an eye out for? (For instance, when you
>remove the trigger assembly of an M-16A2, if you're not careful, there's
>this really neat explsion of springs and detent pins that occurs, which
>isn't half as funny as when your buddy does it because you're not supposed
>to take that part out in the first place.)

Gee's, there's so many little things that you pickup along the way. I can't
think of any 'mouse trap' type things off hand.

Well, one thing I'm involved with now are the captive nuts (actually a piece
of aluminum square tube that is welded to the back side of the edge of the
deck, a square nut is put into the square hole and a star washer is forced
in as a retainer) that are for the bolts that hold the hand rails on.
Anyway, they fall off! Rather easily at times. Come to think of it a lot
of the little things that are welded to the deck fall off, like the spacers
for the air cleaner. Crappy welds are the culprit. Anyway, be carefull
with them and if the do fall off mark the location. I've been putting a
little epoxie on them and sticking them back on (in the same location and in
the same orientation).

I HAD to rebuild the trany as one of the shift plates (I think thats the
correct term, the little bar that slides back and forth that pushes on the
synchroniser ring) had fallen out and other was about to. The ends of the
bar (actually a stamped peice) break off and then they can work there way
out. Problem #1 is that it gets hard to shift, problem #2 is that if that
bar gets trapped in any gears, I think you'll have a mess. Grove says this
is common. I wonder if one should be a little 'gentle' when shifting a mule
and not try to jam it fast and/or hard like you might on a car.

Getting the front pinion shaft bearing retainer thing to seal with all the
shims and stuff in there took several times. Ended up with a light film of
permatex #1 on all surfaces (housing, shims, retainer). That worked.

Be more specific and I'll tell you what I can.

je