Re[2]: MEK Safety for [MV] Vinyl tops

James Burrill (jburrill@dttus.com)
22 Apr 1999 10:35:28 -0500

Hi List, Just had to jump on the soapbox on the MEK part of this. We all hear
the usual warnings about wearing gloves, eye protection and ventilation.
Sometimes I think we take it for granted and become blase' about it (like
wearing eye protection when we cut up onions for dinner...thats a joke
folks....)

MEK is some really wicked S**T! It has an affinity to destroy eye tissue. Aside
from it's other hazards, like being explosive...let me say again, it eats your
eyeballs!

I have used MEK as both an electronics solvent (in the 70's) and as an activator
for fiberglass. The longer I had the opportunity to work with it, the more I
came across hazard warnings on the stuff.

Wear wrap-around goggles or, better yet, a faceshield.

Ok, I feel better now...

Cheers,
Jim
Subject: Re: [MV] Vinyl tops
Author: rojoha@mediaone.net at Internet-USA
Date: 4/22/99 9:39 AM

Hi Lars:
You might try purchasing some small containers of various vinyl
solvents at the hardware or paint stores. Things like Acetone ,
Tolulene , Xylene, Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and Methylene Chloride,
among others. Try small amounts on a spot inside the tarp until you
find one that softens the material (when rubbed leaves vinyl residue
on finger - the 'gooier' the better.) Then apply this solvent along
the inside of the seam edges using a fine tip natural hair bristle
brush. Capillary action SHOULD draw the solvent into the seam and
around any stitching , dissolving a layer of vinyl on both sides of
the seam. When the solvent finally flashes off you should end up with
what is known as solvent weld. You may want to do multiple
applications to achieve desired results. You don't want a real stiff
seam - you want flexibility. Look at a military poncho for clues on
how stiff is best.
MOST current Mil Spec vinyl covers are welded using focused RF
radiation in the factory -- not the type of equipment you find at
Radio Shack. Your missus might frown on you disassembling the
microwave to build your own welder.
Be advised that it may be drawn all the way through the seam and
affect the paint on the outside ( they don't call them solvents for
nothing). Also previous seam treatments my cause unforeseen
complications.
Wear safety glasses and gloves and do outside with plenty of
ventilation, out of direct sunlight.
Another option would be commercial tent seam sealing materials,
available at outdoor or camping supply stores.
As usual, if you or any of your crew are injured or captured, the
secretary will disavow any knowledge of your attempted repair. This
computer will self destruct in 10 seconds. Good Luck.<G>
Ron