Re: [MV] Deuce.5 and 5 tonners

Dave Cole (davidacole@juno.com)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:23:25 -0500

You have a couple of choices in some states.

If you are going to use it for commerical use:
You need a CDL for vehicles over 26,000 lbs gvw (All 5 tons)
You need commerical insurance
You need to keep a log book
Follow all of the DOT regs, numbers, etc

If you are going to use if for personal use in Indiana:
In Indiana you can license it as a military vehicle - need to get
a historical vehicle inspection - no charge.
Registration is about $35 - not quite done with it yet.
or
You can register it as a farm vehicle - no CDL required even for
a semi-rig
You are limited to 250 miles from your "farm"
Can't use it for commerial cartage, but you can haul just about
anything to and from your "farm", ie property.

The federal DOT recognizes "Farm Use" vehicles throughout the 50 states.
Farm plates for my 5 ton were about $250/yr in Indiana, hence I'm
registering it as a mil-vehicle to save some $ and insuring it as a Farm
vehicle by Farm Bureau insurance at $282/yr for 100/300K insurance.

After I drive this thing for a while I plan to get my CDL anyway (Not a
big deal according to state police, but adds credibility if I ever get in
a dispute with the cops).

Once you understand what the rules are it is not big deal. Get a copy
of the CDL license manual from your local BMV and look for the part about
Farm Vehicles. Then do a search of the states legal code and look for
mentions of Military Vehicles in the code for any exclusions. At least
Texas and Indiana have special provisions for Mil-vehicles owned by
civilians.

Dave Cole