Re: [MV] Registration & insurance for tracked vehicle

Auke Dijkstra (auke.dijkstra@wxs.nl)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:11:17 +0200

Hi,

This isn't any help for you, but overhere in The Netherlands(Europe) it is not
so difficult to let it register for road use, it has to be checked over in order

to see if the brakes are o.k., if the lighting complies with the laws, if it is
not to wide or to long etc etc.. My vehicle was a M5A1 Half-Track, which
is basicly a truck chassis with tracks at the rear and some armour on it, so
that
was not a big problem. The big problem was the insurance companies, the
moment they noticed the thing had tracks and armour everything went wrong.
The point was that in case of a collision the half-track can inflict a lot more
damage to another car than ordinary cars. After convincing them that a big
eighteen wheeler truck does excactly the same, one insurance company was
prepared to do an insurace for the half-track, I guess a full tracked vehicle
would cause even bigger problems, unless perhaps you could unsure it as
something like a bulldozer.

Regards,

Auke Dijkstra
Haaksbergen