Re: [MV] 2 1/2 tons

James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:20:36 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Bauer <tomb@ccpl.carr.lib.md.us>
To: jonathon <jemery@execpc.com>
Cc: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: Friday, April 23, 1999 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] 2 1/2 tons

>i wouldn't be surprised if the Perkins turned fasted, hence the higher
>hp, but what about torque ?? the ldt at 9 psi boost = almost 1000 F
>exhaust temp. getting close to the limit.....

I would look carefully to see where the sensor is located for the pyrometer
The exhaust limit on a turbo diesel depends on where the sensor for the
pyrometer is located. If it is mounted before the turbo the limit is 1200
F...if after the turbo the limit is 900 F. In order to put a tubo on any
engine it requires a different camshaft as turbo engines have both the
exhaust and the intake valve open at the same time so cool air scavenges
all burned gases from the cylinder. If it was built as a normally aspirated
engine I would live with it. You may have to change pistons as well.

also has anyone ever put
>one on a dyno ?? we only have the military's word on the low hp rating.
>(it does feel kind of weak for a 478 cid engine)
>tom
>

>===

My $.02 worth?

James Shanks