[MV] Re: Fuel Pump + mail order

Douglas Greville (dgrev@apollo.ruralnet.net.au)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:37:37 +0930

JEFF

> WE HAVE THEM IN STOCK NOS FOR $195.00EA PLUS 25.00 CORE CHARGE AND
> SHIPPING

Could you please explain for those of us that are not in the US exactly
what that means? Does he pay you $195 for the part or does he pay you
$220? If it is going to cost him $220 why not just say so?

Or is it a case of $195 change over once he has supplied his old one for
rebuild and at that time he will get the his $25 surety back?

The reason I ask is that I have learnt to be very wary of mail order: a
case in point - I replied to an add by (supposedly) America's
biggest aviation supplies company for some headsets (for an AFV), I
"neglected" to give my credit card number and received in answer the
following invoice:

Pro forma charge $10
Invoice fee $10
Headset $120
Packaging $20
Postage $50
Handling $15

I never did tell them exactly where they could put their order! I am just
thankful I was cautious. The quoted the postage cost is at airmail rate
but they send the packages by seamail (which actually costs half as much).
Since when does anybody, anyplace in the world, charge "invoice fees", nor
did I order/enquire about a "Pro Forma". ;-)
I also regard the packaging and handling price as a rip-off.

As it turned out they did me a favour, soon after, by sheer fluke, I
managed to aquire a genuine US Intercom and accessories for my vehicle.

Regards
Doug

Armoured Vehicles Collector
_______
_/_(_o_)_\_ ____
_/|___|_|___|\_ /____\
/ [___] [___] \ Douglas Greville _/[o]___\_
|w|\u u/|w| Australia |w| \ / |w|
M8 Ferret

dgrev@ruralnet.net.au

Web Armour site at: http://Fast.to/DG